Newmarket / Aurora Home Shows Now and Then

I attended the Newmarket Chamber of Commerce Home Show this weekend and it brought back memories I'd completely forgotten about. Growing up in a small town, the Home Show was something I'd look forward to. Next to the circus coming to town and the fairs, the Home Show was right up there in exciting town happenings, and my friends and I looked forward to it.

We'd all get our bags already stuffed with some goods as we entered the arena and walked the floor where the ice normally lay, filling them with all the information booklets and free stuff we could get our hands on. Ballots for contests were always on our "must do" lists as well and of course checking out the food fare. A subtext to all this was the opportunity to see pretty girls from town and maybe meet some. Well we weren't so good at that part but we tried...and nothing's changed! Ha!

And there was certainly no shortage of pretty women working the Newmarket Home Show - at the risk of sounding sexist - but unlike Obama I make no apologies for complimenting people on their appearance. Apart from the fact that most of my buddies are hooked up now, whilst I'm still single(again) having been unceremoniously kicked to the curb through a very modern text message, nothing much has changed.Although I was a tad embarrassed when Glen jokingly told one booth operator I was there looking for a wife - after which she refused a photo op with me. Now there's a confidence builder! Gee, thanks Glen! Ha!


A pool place that sells BBQ sauces and BBQs too!
As we cruised the 2013 show held at the Magna Centre my friend was seemingly non-stop yapping to people he remembered from the previous years, meantime I bee-lined it towards the nearest free food samples whilst filling out every free contest ballot I could find.

"It's a numbers game" I told Glen who shared with me his technique for winning by folding ballots into unusual shapes that eliminate (or was it create) corners. I guess we'll find out soon if it paid off! Yeepa! trip to Mexico here I come! Or I'd settle for winning the free lawn care!

As we browsed around listening to the various pitches for products and services - from cleaning products to ambulance to catering to insurance and 'community organizations" - I took mental notes of the various sales approaches and techniques being somewhat a connoisseur of sales - and give the best pitch of the day award to a Chiropractor who was not afraid to ask for the "free" appointment for a spinal check-up, using several approaches to get my commitment. I didn't give it, as I managed to steer my attention away from him and over to the naturopathic health person also of the wellness centre while feigning interest in naturopathic health products. Shamefully I was just happy to chat with the attractive "'N.D. Doctor" taking her card with empty promises of getting in touch. Sigh, sorry darling my motives were unclean. I shall now flog myself.

Sweet!...The apple I mean..gulp.
Speaking of unclean thoughts, I was surprised that the Upper Canada Mall representative girls - all dolled up like beauty queens - refused getting a promo pic in their promo booth. Gee, when Victoria Secrets opened there last year they didn't seem to mind encouraging every young girl in town to experience a "Spring Fling" whilst unabashedly plastering their messages and skimpy underwear / models on everything from the mall's entrance to the bus station doors. Personally, with a young daughter, I found the in your face campaign offensive. Recently they (Victoria Secrets) also came under fire for pushing a line of sexy message clad under-panty's to children & "tweens" as well.

But the Upper Canada Mall brings back fond memories too, having been around long enough to recall it as a stand alone square building then with no underwear only stores, and was the place to meet chicks (and them us) as a teen! Ha. In fact I met my first 'out of town' girlfriend there at the ripe age of 14!
.( Insert theme to Madonna's "Like A Virgin" here).

Therapy Dog at St John's Ambulance booth
After a few more interesting stops like the St Johns Ambulance Service area, the cool D.J. Darin with the technology allowing for text requests, as well as lawn care advice and free grass seed samples, we decided to grab a coffee and take in part of the " decorating tips" presentation video from our seats at the O'Malley's Catering tables - until Glen spied the "free massage" booth and away we went!
Next time I'm definitely stopping for a massage like he did and who knows? Maybe I'll meet the woman of my dreams like he did. Oh, that's right, Glen's already married, happily I might add, but that didn't stop him from proposing to someone else there!
Glen what the heck were you thinking!!? I guess anything can happen at a Home Show!

Entering the 2nd area of the show we were instantly overwhelmed by a scent sensation that had us drooling puddles as Supper Works home meals dished out samples for which I answered "all 3" when asked which one I'd like to try! Mmm..a tad salt light for my tastes, but awesome goulash stew and curry dishes otherwise!


Other cool show booths included Marquee Theatrical Productions a nonprofit group now booking for summer camps and producing musical The Sound of Music, the 'bruschetta" samples from Cardinal Golf and Country Club weren't too bad either, and the golf mini-put game featured at the Alzheimer's Society booth promoting their annual golf tournament at Pheasant Run Golf & Country Club was fun. I also had a great chat with Bill from Neighbourhood Dominions Lending about contacting Don Cherry for our annual road hockey event as Don is a spokesperson for them, as well as spoke to the Welcome Wagon in regards to setting up something for newcomers!

Goodness me! All kinds of surprises at the 2013 Newmarket Home Show!


Innovative Spine Wellness


 The Best Things in Life are Free!

Show even has grass dealers..er..the lawn kind!
Advice you can trust








Picture

The Aurora Home Show next weekend!