Open Stage Friday's

The original new logo in 2008!
Recently while holding an event, one of the performers I'd used a few times and who's displayed some talent, communicated a desire to host an open stage or acoustical jam or something to that effect and as it happened I'd be asked to testify at a licensing hearing for a local place known to feature live entertainment. That was part of the reason however that they are in a hearing fighting for their license, because the powers that be claim - after 5 years of not mentioning it apparently - that they believe the location is not allowed any amplified music whatsoever according to their liquor license.

TPE was the original promoter and entertainment booker
I was at the original licensing hearing some years ago and my recollection is that those conditions were specific to the outside of the building only. I mean, think about it, what place is told no amplification whatsoever? That means no tv, no radio, jukebox, no stereo, no nothing because all use "amplified sound".

Meantime owner Noel was almost in tears after her hearing which ended with a remand and no decision leaving her soundless still. Told she'd had only two customers that day in her absence while at the hearing Friday, she looked at me and said,  "What am I supposed to do? I'm ruined." 

Amps at PACC fundraiser @GoodTimes in 2008 now a nono
I though about "cheering her up" with some pun-like ideas - like Mime Night!..Or A Capella Night but I didn't want to confuse her...besides I had some ideas about how to turn her situation into a positive.It was early in the evening too I thought, still time for her to make something happen that night...and beyond!

This is why I thought of Good Times when Matthew's dilemma came up. The ambiance is perfect for it. He plays acoustics and sings and theoretically it could work without amps is my feeling..so why not make it so!

Voila - Friday Night Open Stage Night @ Good Times Cafe Bar & Grill.

One of the first ever TPE performers at Good Times 2007 from Nashville
After settling in a bit, the tallish Matt aka Sunbranch, played an array of originals and old covers with unique twists and turns laden into the mix - keeping that "same old, same old" definitely out which was great! At times playing with a partner, a songbird of a girl who harmonized like an angel in bluejeans and who did some cool solo covers as well, the two kept the interest and energy levels rising as the night progressed and had a cool vibe growing as it were. I look forward to more duets and trios and shaker instruments and everything else Sunbranch and friends will bring to the mix!

Sunbranch and the Songbird
Sunbranch and friends Host the 1st official Open Stage Friday's at Good Times Friday Mar 29 starting at 9 PM with NO COVER. bring an instrument or bring yourself -  just bring!